Monday, November 26, 2007

On the Road Again

I just finished the Heaphy Track yesterday and spent the night in Karamea at a place called Rongo's Backpackers. The Heaphy track is an absolutely incredible walk and way less busy than any of the other great walks. Each day you are met with a different type of scenery; from sub-tropical rainforest, to huge yellow tussock fields, to rocky coastline. The five days passed quickly and Aleah and I hardly ran into other people until the last day.
The backpackers we stayed in is a the most carbon neutral place I have been to yet. Rain water for showers, solar heaters for the water, organic garden in the backyard, etc, etc. It was really nice but Aleah and I quickly realized that we were the only people who werent volunteering there and it suddenly felt like we had stumbled into somebody elses house.
Right now, I am in Westport attempting to catch up with the Stray bus which is proving more difficult that I previously would have thought. If I can catch it today, then I will have a few extra days in Queenstown which would be nice.
Though this is a little late, happy thanksgiving to all the Americans who read this! I hope your food was delicious and everything went well.
Again, no pictures, but thanks for reading it anyways!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, is it true that the toilets flow backwards down there?